Community Benefit Report
2020 Nursing Education
Originally from Huntington, WV, Robert “Bobby” Midkiff was a “non-traditional” student. Prior to attending nursing school, Bobby was a guitar player for the band “Holden Caulfield” who was signed to a record label in Cleveland, OH and toured the US. Bobby’s music career was put on hold when his father became ill and ended up in Intensive Care Unit (ICU) for three months. This is where Bobby was introduced to nursing. Moved by the compassionate nurses who explained everything about his father’s care to him and his mother, this led to his decision to apply to nursing school. Bobby entered his senior year and realized that he was going to need financial aid. He said he started “freaking out”, but when referred to the CAMC Foundation, Bobby received an educational assistance grant and graduated on time from Marshall University with his BSN.
CAMC Steven J. Jubelirer, M.D. Endowed Chair for Hematology-Oncology Research Fund
Established January 2020
For years, Dr. Jubelirer has cared for countless lives in our community at the CAMC Cancer Center. Beyond treating patients for their disease, Dr. Jubelirer has become a positive force in the lives of those he meets; our family, friends, and neighbors. This is why we are honored to announce, that in 2020, the CAMC Steven J. Jubelirer, M.D. Endowed Chair for Hematology-Oncology Research Fund was established to attract and retain a distinguished researcher and scholar to serve as academic and research leader at the CAMC Cancer Center. Now, Dr. Jubelirer’s journey of caring for those with cancer will last in perpetuity and honor his legacy of care and compassion.
2020 Patient Simulation Center
Support for the CAMC Patient Simulation Center. Funding was provided to purchase a Laerdal SimMom birthing manikin simulator and a Laerdal SimNewB simulator which is a newborn simulator, in addition to other items to update the facility and provide state-of-the-art training for medical students, nurses and others in a healthcare simulated environment.
2020 CAMC Health Education and Research Institute
In 2020, the CAMC Foundation supported research and education initiatives at the CAMC Health Education and Research Institute including support for an annual Research Day, summer research externships, pharmacy fellowship programs, and geriatric education and training.
2020 CAMC Women and Children's Hospital
In 2020, funding for CAMC Women and Children’s Hospital was directed to help support multiple medical teams and patients, including but not limited to the region’s largest and busiest Level IV (highest level) neonatal intensive care unit (NICU), the Level I (highest level) pediatric intensive care unit (PICU), and the CAMC Children’s Cancer Center. Other recipients highlighted are the CAMC Family Resource Center, where community services in counseling, family-based health education, and Journey to Parenthood Classes are taught to welcome a new baby and help navigate the first few years of a mother and baby’s life together. In addition, funding from the CAMC Foundation helped the CAMC Children’s Advocacy Center; where children and families are treated with professional, compassionate care to reduce trauma often experienced by children who are victims of abuse.
2020 Sepsis Research
2020 Sepsis Research
Funding was provided to continue support for a Registered Nurse to assist the sepsis research team with developing and carrying out projects and to provide training to clinicians and nursing staff on the identification and treatment of sepsis.
2020 COVID Antibody Study
Funding was used to examine COVID antibodies in several demographic populations in the local area. A prospective study in which participants were invited and consented to participate. This study is unique in that it will document COVID antibodies in a low prevalence area where demographics were collected along with antibody sample.
2020 CAMC Cancer Center
This grant helped support access and assistance to medications, chemotherapy, medical supplies/equipment, travel, lodging, nutritional supplies, and other cost of care associated with cancer treatment for patients treated at the CAMC Cancer Center. Additionally, funding helps support care through survivorship programs that include educational materials, psychological services to address emotional issues, exercise programs, group support classes, staff training, and boutique/spa services.
The CAMC Foundation would like to thank the following donors for their generous contributions in 2020.
Trustee $1,000,000 and Above
Chairman’s Cabinet $100,000 – $999,999
- Descendants of John L. and Maude H. Dickinson
- The Health Plan
- Martha Gaines
and Russell Wehrle Memorial Foundation
Benefactor $50,000 – $99,999
- Chandler Drive Church of God
- Pepsi-Cola Company
Patron $25,000 – $49,999
- Aetna Better Health of West Virginia
- The Bernard H. and
Blanche E. Jacobson Foundation
- The Estate of
James H. Walker, MD
Sustainer $10,000 – $24,999
- American Electric Power Foundation
- AT&T, Inc.
- Barnett Group/Hub International
- BBL Carlton, LLC
- CAMC Medical Affairs
- CAMC Memorial Hospital Auxiliary
- Mr. Joseph T. Carney
- The Elliot Family Foundation
- Mr. Dwight A. Foley
- Charles and Mary Fayne Glotfelty Foundation, Inc.
- The Greater Kanawha Valley Foundation
- W. Baker Hall Memorial Fund
- Mr. John McCuskey
- Moses Auto Group/Moses Toyota
- PDG Consulting
- Dave and Billy Ramsey
- Dr. and Mrs. Art B. Rubin
- Spilman Thomas & Battle, PLLC
- Drs. James and Nancy Tierney
- TriForLife Birth Tissue Recovery Group
Sponsor $1,000 – $9,999
- 401(K) Advisors
- Agfa HealthCare
- Appalachian Tire Products, Inc.
- Associated Radiologists, Inc.
- AssuredPartners of West Virginia, LLC
- Victor and Ellen Bastron
- Dr. and Mrs. Mark C. Bates
- Mr. James M. Becker
- Marty and Kathy Becker
- The Benevity Community Impact Fund
- Ms. Pauline Bishop
- Mrs. Janie Bowling
- Mr. and Mrs. Jeffrey L. Branham
- Brewer & Company of WV, Inc.
- Brooke Brown Barzun Philanthropic
- Dr. Pamela Cain
- CAMC Federal Credit Union
- Senator Shelley M. Capito and
Mr. Charles L. Capito
- Carmel-Greenfield Charitable Trust
- Casey's Cakes & Cookies
- Ciccarello, Del Giudice & LaFon
- Mr. and Mrs. Mike Clowser
- Coca-Cola Bottling Company
- Ms. Cynthia E. Coleman
- Collateral Opportunites, LLC
- Comprehensive Pharmacy Services, Inc.
- The Courtland Company
- Dr. and Mrs. Glenn Crotty, Jr
- Mrs. Lolita Delgra
- Delta Dental of West Virginia
- Dixon Hughes Goodman, LLP
- Doug Skaff For WV
- Dougherty Company, Inc.
- Elco Mechanical Contractors, Inc.
- Elder Aide Services dba Right At Home
- Electronic Specialty Company
- Mr. and Mrs. John R. Elliot
- Mr. Dallas Enoch and Mrs. Pamela Enoch
- Jennie and David Ferretti
- Fidelity Investments
- Fifth Third Bank
- Dr. and Mrs. Daniel S. Foster
- Dr. and Mrs. Dominic J. Gaziano
- The Estate of Annie E. Gebhart
- General Anesthesia Services, Inc.
- GFWC West Virginia Inc.
- Mr. and Mrs. Jeff H. Goode
- Mr. Philip Green
- Dr. Carl and Mrs. Abby Grey & Family
- Joe and Faye Guilfoile
- Bill and Sharon Hall
- Jane and Robert Harris
- Herscher Foundation
- Mr. and Mrs. William H. Hilborn, Jr.
- Lee and Angela Hill
- Dr. W. Shane Holmes
- Ignite a Better World Foundation
- Impression Products
- Intalere (WV Health Services, Inc.)
- Mr. and Mrs. Eric W. Iskra
- Jackson Kelly PLLC
- Mrs. Leslie N. Johnson
- Mr. and Mrs. George W. Jones
- Mr. and Mrs. Richard D. Jones
- Dr. and Mrs. Steven J. Jubelirer
- Kanawha Deputy Sheriffs Association Inc.
- Kanawha Roxalana
- Mrs. Raye King White and Mr. Paul S. White
- Tricia and Alexandra Kingery
- Kokosing Construction Company, Inc.
- The Kroger Company Foundation
- Mrs. Alma B. Laufert
- Ms. Kathryn M. Lester
- Lewis Glasser
- Littler Mendelson
- The Honorable and Mrs. Joe Manchin III
- Mrs. Julie F. Margolis
- McDavid Foundation
- Dr. and Mrs. Thomas P. McIlwain
- Dr. Brittain and Judith H. McJunkin
- Mrs. Callen J. McJunkin
- Mrs. Maricris H. Miller and Mr. Scott Miller
- MIRC Construction Services
- Morgan Stanley Smith Barney - Charleston
- Mr. and Mrs. Robert O. Orders, Jr.
- Mr. and Mrs. Jeffrey L. Oskin
- Mrs. Stephanie E. Parker and Mr. James Nobles
- Pediatrix Medical Group
- Steven and Melinda Perry
- Ms. Nina Peyton
- Mrs. E. Gail Pitchford and Dr. Guus Lobach
- Progressive Electric, Inc.
- Mr. and Mrs. Kirk Rector
- Mr. and Mrs. William A. Rice, Jr.
- Dr. and Mrs. Jayesh B. Shah
- Ms. Susan E. Sharps
- Shuman, McCuskey & Slicer, PLLC
- Mr. and Mrs. David L. Shuman
- Mr. Neil Smithson
- Dr. and Mrs. Mark K. Stephens
- Mr. Howard Stettmeier
- Suttle & Stalnaker, PLLC
- Zach and Erica Szasz
- TC Energy
- Dr. Christine Teague
- Mr. and Mrs. Andrew Teeter
- Tri-State Roofing and Sheet Metal Company
- Joe and Angie Tucker
- UniCare Health Plan of WV, Inc.
- United Bank, Inc.
- Unity Insurance Group, Inc.
- N. Andrew and Amy W. Vaughan
- Jason and Rashica Ward
- Mr. and Mrs. S. Andrew Weber
- West Virginia University Research Corporation
- Kathie and Bob Whitler
- WV Appalachian Laborers' District Council
- WVU Charleston Division
- Dr. and Mrs. George L. Zaldivar
- ZMM, Inc.
A note to our event supporters
The CAMC Foundation would like to express its immense gratitude to those who chose to participate in our major fundraising events in the year 2020. Despite facing different and difficult times, your unrelenting support allows us to continue to help fund the programs and services that make this community stronger. Thank you for sticking with us during an unusual year and we cannot wait to see you in person again.
Month of June, 2020
Held virtually, more than 360 online registrants participated in either the 5 Mile Run or 2.5 Mile Walktoraisemorethan$98,000 in support of colorectal cancer screening and awareness.
August 15 - September 15, 2020
More than 115 golfers virtually participated 2O2O in the 2020 CAMC Foundation Golf Classic Virtual. The event raised more than $149,000 to benefit CAMC’s tiniest patients at
CAMC Women and Children’s Hospital.